At Progress West Hospital, we know that the support of family and friends is important. We welcome visitors and are here to provide information while you’re visiting. Visitors may include, but are not limited to, family, friends, significant others, professional services such as attorneys, doulas, photographers, hairdressers, or other persons requested by a patient or a patient’s legal guardian or legal representative.
- Designated Caregiver: A designated caregiver is an individual who is 18 years or older and who the patient designates to provide care in the home post-discharge. Patients are encouraged to identify a designated caregiver among their visitors.
- Children: Minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Clergy: A member of clergy is allowed at the bedside and is not included in the total number of visitors.
To be respectful of all our patients in their time of healing, visitors are expected to abide by established visiting hours and guidance.
- Typically, visiting hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., seven days a week.
- Some departments have extended hours for visitors. Click here to read BJC’s visitor policy and view a chart that outlines departments and guidance.
- Visitors may swap in and out throughout the day.
- When appropriate and for the safety and privacy of all patients, visitors should remain with the patient in their room or treatment area.
Compassionate exceptions, evaluated by the house supervisor, are considered on an as-needed basis to support patients and families.
- Inpatient Immunocompromised Rooms: Visitors will be provided appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and required to wear. If unable (or unwilling), a member of the care team will explain the risks involved and visitor must stay inside the inpatient room or exit the hospital.
- No Smoking: Progress West Hospital is a smoke-free campus.
- Quiet Hours: Between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. it is considered "quiet time." A peaceful environment is needed for patients to recover and heal. Visitors must behave accordingly.
- Overnight Guests: We want to ensure the best possible experience for every patient and will do everything we can to accommodate each patient’s needs. Due to spacing and capacity, more visitors can be permitted in private rooms than in shared spaces or isolation rooms. Overnight visitors can be permitted in the private setting; overnight visits in semi-private rooms must be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the needs and comfort levels of both patients in the room. We value patient privacy and want to make sure every patient feels comfortable. Overnight visitors in semi-private rooms will only be permitted if both patients are agreeable to it.
- In-Room Bathrooms for Patients Only: Visitors may not use patient bathrooms
- Reasonable Restrictions: Staff may ask visitors to leave a patient’s room to allow for patient care
- Don’t Visit If You’re Sick: To protect all patients and the health of our staff, visitors who have had a fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea in the last 48 hours are discouraged from visiting.
- Safe and Respectful Environment: Violence, inappropriate behavior and offensive/vulgar language will not be tolerated. Groups of visitors should not congregate in hallways or other areas that may impede pedestrian traffic. Seating in designated waiting areas will be prioritized for patients.
- Self-Care: Visitors must be able to independently care for themselves while at the hospital. If you require a chaplain for emotional and spiritual needs, please call the hospital operator at 636.344.1000 so we can assist you.
WHAT IF A VISITOR DOES NOT COMPLY WITH GUIDELINES?
A visitor who is disruptive or who fails to follow any of the expectations for visitors will be asked to stop the disruptive behavior. They may also be asked to leave the facility temporarily if the behavior does not stop or if it presents an immediate risk to patients or staff.
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
Contact us by submitting a question or feedback. For immediate assistance, call the hospital operator at 636.344.1000 so we can assist you.